The Chapel of St. Rochus, Bingen
The chapel of St. Rochus is an important place of pilgrimage. The Rochusberg
pilgrimage achieved literary fame through the works of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. The original building was erected in response to the devastating plague epidemic of 1666. It was destroyed in 1795, only to be rebuilt in 1814 following an outbreak of typhus in Bingen. After this new chapel was struck by lightning in 1889, it was replaced by a new building in the elaborate, neo-gothic style.