The village owes its name to a naturally carbonated spring, the Sauerborn, which rises within its limits. The house of von Sickingen were Imperial Counts who ruled here from 1692-1834. The ruins of Sauerburg Castle bear witness to the village’s noble past. In 1990 Sauerthal was the first community in the Rhein-Lahn district
to have an all-female volunteer fire brigade.